WWE Intercontinental Championship:
- WWE spoke with Kane after losing to United States Champion Dean Ambrose at last night’s Payback pay-per-view. Kane promised Ambrose won’t escape him again.
- WWE also posted a handheld video from Ambrose and WWE Tag Team Champions Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins. They mocked their Payback opponents and talked about dominating another pay-per-view. Ambrose called Reigns and Rollins the best tag team walking today. Ambrose added that we learned he can get hit harder than Kane can get. Ambrose called them the leaders of a new generation in WWE.
- Paul Heyman and New WWE Intercontinental Champion Curtis Axel spoke with WWE cameras last night after his big win. Heyman was busy showing Axel a bunch of “offers” coming in. Heyman called Axel’s win a “perfect” victory.
- Finally, Dr. Michael Sampson spoke with WWE.com about Dolph Ziggler’s condition. Sampson, the trainer checking on Dolph during the match, noted that Ziggler was checked out after the match also. He noted that they will keep monitoring Ziggler. The storyline is that they won’t know if he can wrestle until results come in from more tests last night and today.
Here’s the final card for Sunday’s WWE Payback pay-per-view.
Three Stages of Hell for the WWE Title
Ryback vs. John Cena
World Heavyweight Title Match
Alberto Del Rio vs. Dolph Ziggler
Triple Threat for the WWE Intercontinental Title
Curtis Axel vs. The Miz vs. Wade Barrett
WWE Tag Team Title Match
Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton vs. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns
WWE United States Title Match
Kane vs. Dean Ambrose
WWE Divas Title Match
AJ Lee vs. Kaitlyn
CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho
Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow
WWE’s website recently spoke with Fandango about being pulled from the Payback Triple Threat for the Intercontinental Title. He said:
“If I’m not in the match, I don’t care about the match at all. If I had to make a prediction, I’d say Barrett hangs on to it. I don’t think Curtis Axel is even close to the caliber of a Superstar like Fandango. Barrett is obviously a tough bare-knuckle fighter, and Curtis Axel is a brawler himself. Miz, however, is a pretty-boy Hollywood star. I hope Barrett and Axel put a few scars on that face of his.”
WWE.com sources have reported that Fandango suffered a concussion during the SmackDown taping on Tuesday night and was pulled from WWE Live Events throughout the week.
Fandango passed his impact test, but has yet to pass further testing needed for clearance.
There is speculation backstage at the Richmond Coliseum — the site of tonight’s Raw — as to how this will affect the scheduled Intercontinental Championship Triple Threat Match at WWE Payback this Sunday pitting the dancing Superstar and The Miz against reigning titleholder Wade Barrett.
Stay with WWE.com for further details as they become available.
Immediately following Kofi Kingston’s explosive showdown against Ryback during the Tuesday night SmackDown taping, the “Human Wrecking Ball” unleashed a massive post-match attack on the high-flyer – putting his war torn victim through three separate tables.
According to WWE medical physician Doctor Michael Sampson, Kingston would walk out of Edmonton with a c-collar neck brace as a result of this incident, strictly as a safety precaution.
Sampson further diagnosed that Ryback’s attack actually accelerating Kingston’s already-existing elbow injury. As a result, the three-time Intercontinental Champion will undergo surgery this Thursday and is expected to be out-of-action for 4 to 8 weeks.
Check back with WWE.com for additional details as they become available.
Bookmark this page and refresh as needed for updated match results from WrestleMania 29!
Intercontinental Championship Match
- The Miz defeats Wade Barrett to become Intercontinental Champion.
Six Man Tag Match
- The Shield defeats the team of Sheamus, Randy Orton & The Big Show (Dean Ambrose pins Randy Orton)
- Mark Henry defeats Ryback
Tag Team Championship Match
- Team Hell No defeats Dolph Ziggler & Big E Langston to retain the Tag Team Championship (Daniel Bryan pins Dolph Ziggler)
- Fandango defeats Chris Jericho
World Heavyweight Championship Match
- Alberto Del Rio defeats Jack Swagger to retain the World Heavyweight Championship
The Streak On The Line
- Undertaker defeats CM Punk
No Holds Barred Match with Triple H’s Career At Stake
- Triple H defeats Brock Lesnar
Twice In a Lifetime WWE Championship Match
- John Cena defeats The Rock to become an 11 time WWE Champion.
After losing to Randy Orton on last night’s WWE SmackDown, Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett attacked Bo Dallas backstage. Barrett tweeted about the attack:
“Well, despite a disappointing result in my bout on #SmackDown, it felt great to restore the natural order once I’d returned to the back. I hope @TheBoDallas has learned a valuable lesson from all of this. Now it’s time to return to whence you came #DumbKid. And while I’m on the subject, if any of your NXT buddies are thinking of having a pop, they’ll get the same treatment. Now bugger off.”
The planned Intercontinental Cup which was to be taped on WWE Main Event episodes has been canceled according to Wade Barrett.
“I am pleased to announce that I have managed to negotiate a complete cancellation of the #IntercontinentalCup tournament”, Barrett wrote on Twitter just moments ago.
Tonight’s WWE RAW is the taped show from Saturday night in Washington, DC and has a Champion’s Choice theme. Full spoilers and the match listing can be found elsewhere on the site. The main event of tonight’s show will be Ryback vs. Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns in a handicap match. There will also be a New Years Eve toast with AJ Lee and Dolph Ziggler.
WWE is focusing on the following points for tonight’s show:
* What will AJ and Ziggler have to say with their toast?
* Are CM Punk’s days as WWE Champion numbered?
* Is Sheamus poised to recapture the World Title?
* Does Kaitlyn deserve another match with Divas Champion Eve Torres?
* Besides new Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett, who else will close out 2012 with a bang?
- The dark match before tonight’s WWE tapings in Richmond, Virginia saw Natalya defeat Alicia Fox.
- Sheamus vs. Michael McGillicutty was taped tonight in Richmond for a future episode of WWE’s Saturday Morning Slam.
- The following matches were taped tonight for the January 2nd WWE main Event:
* The Great Khali vs. Antonio Cesaro for the United States Title
* Wade Barrett will compete in a non-title Gauntlet Match
- Speaking of Barrett, he will defend his Intercontinental Title against former champion Kofi Kingston on the January 4th SmackDown.
Wade Barrett and Kofi Kingston reacted to last night’s Intercontinental Title change via Twitter:
Barrett: “Tonight, I will sleep with gold against my soul. There is a new Intercontinental Champion and he comes armed with a Bull Hammer.”
Kingston: “The thing about getting knocked down: Makes you decide whether to stay down or get up. I always get up & I arise stronger than I was before.”
WWE announced the following last night:
“WASHINGTON, D.C. — Wade Barrett won the Intercontinental Championship at tonight’s Raw taping, defeating Kofi Kingston at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. to capture the coveted title for the second time.
The victory comes just days after Barrett pinned the acrobatic former champion during a Six-Man Tag Team Match on SmackDown. In fact, the British Superstar seemed to have Kingston’s number during their tense rivalry over the past few weeks, but it was Kofi who prevailed when the two men met with the Intercontinental Championship on the line at WWE TLC. Although he had fallen victim to Barrett’s Bull Hammer on more than one occasion, the resourceful Kingston always retained his title when the stakes were high — that is, until tonight.”
According to hashtagbattle.com, this week’s WWE RAWactive poll was not rigged. Fans chose Antonio Cesaro’s United States Title to be put on the line instead of Kofi Kingston’s Intercontinental Title.
According to the website, “#WWEUS” had 581 votes while “#WWEIC” had 222 votes.
WWE Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston tweeted the following after defeating The Miz at WWE Hell In a Cell:
“#HIAC! Still champ! Adrenaline starting to wear off, pain in the leg is settling in…ice… Advil…Keep it movin! Next stop: #RAWCharlotte”
WWE Divas Champion Eve Torres also retained her title at Hell In a Cell and tweeted the following:
“Despite the odds against me. Despite Teddy, Layla, and Kaitlyn all trying to hold me down… I am still your Diva’s Champion.”