Tonight’s WWE Main Event and SmackDown tapings will take place from the Nutter Center at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.
No matches have been announced for Main Event but Daniel Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose is scheduled for SmackDown. The dark main event advertised is The Shield vs. Chris Jericho, Sheamus and Randy Orton.
Mark Henry has taken to Twitter to essentially tease a retirement announcement tomorrow. This is likely a work as his promo from last Monday’s RAW showed him angry and promising to unleash his anger onto others. Unless there was a change of heart, take these tweets with a grain of salt.
Owner of UK based British Championship Wrestling, Graham McKay, recently appeared on The Big WrestleShark Show. Here are some highlights.
Drew McIntyre: “He’s getting wasted in WWE. You look at the 3MB set up: three of the best guys they’ve got in that company and they are totally wrecking them. He was supposed to get the big push, he was the next big thing. Bret Hart has spoken to Vince about Drew, Roddy Piper has spoken to Vince about Drew, but nothing seems to be happening. Drew doesn’t let much on about what’s happening, but I said to him a couple of weeks ago that he’s getting ruined. He didn’t say much but he seems quite happy with what he’s doing. So I don’t know if they have plans for him, but I don’t see how they can repair what they’re doing to him right now. Drew’s ability is so much more advanced than what WWE will let him do. He is so technically minded. Him and Sheamus got signed at the same time, they’re best friends: they would have great matches.”
Sheamus signing with WWE:“Sheamus was actually in two minds over whether or not to go for the WWE try-out. He’s that little bit older, he’s in his 30s, he had a good job in Dublin and was very well paid. So he was in two minds, because obviously if you get through the try-out you go to developmental, you can spend two or three years there and get nothing. So it was a big risk for him to go for that and potentially come back to no job. Believe it or not it was Drew that convinced him to go for the try-out.”
Chris Masters appearing for BCW: “You get a lot of American workers come over and they are lazy. They’re going to get paid either way: Chris worked so, so hard to get people over. He’s such a hard-working man. He should be signed back up.”
Getting punched by Raven: “I came backstage after managing the match before, and Alex Shane grabs my collar and pulls me out the curtain saying ‘come on, you’re managing me.’ He gave me this spot at the end where I was to jump up and get hit by Raven, but the referee messed up and accidentally counted the 1-2-3. So Raven started getting pretty upset, and when I jumped up on the apron Raven punched me full force in the face… then I had to pay him. It can be great to have Americans over… but you get the good ones and bad ones.”
Thinking he had killed Marty Jannetty: “I once thought he was dead. He mixed UK Paracetamol (mild pain killers) with US Paracetamol. I went in to wake him up and he had been sick blood all over the pillow and he wasn’t moving. I thought ‘my god, I’ve just killed Marty Jannetty.’ But I shook him, and he just kind of woke up with no idea what I was so worried about… it’s crazy.”
Bret Hart’s medical condition: “There were a few things he was talking about backstage when he was over to work in England. For example, if he turns his head to fast in one direction he loses all sight, gets dizzy and may collapse; so he has to be careful even getting in the ring. That’s why when he does the Sharpshooter there is a possibility that he may lose sight and keel over. That’s why he does it very, very slowly now. And yet, you book him in the UK and he will still sell out shows. Last time he was over to promote his book and they had to close off a couple of streets for him.”
Trying to book Roddy Piper: “I still have the email in my phone, he would only come over to work for BCW if I could get him a part in an Irn Bru advert. He said he had just been over and would have no reason to come back otherwise. I was just like, I’ve got enough troubles trying to promote a show without trying to get him a role in an advert.”
Credit – Wrestling Observer
There is huge heat on Mark Henry right now from WWE’s creative side. They had a storyline planned for him but after his match with Sheamus at Extreme Rules, or at some point in the last week, Henry said he was banged up and needed to take time off due to injuries.
As a general rule, while WWE says they want people to rest when hurt, they usually push them to stick around unless it’s something major like concussions or neck or knee issues. There’s a feeling that they did a lot to build Henry up, get him hot again and then he’s leaving to take time off. He has heat for taking a significant amount of time off without undergoing surgery. As of Wednesday, WWE’s official word is that Henry needing surgery hasn’t been determined yet.
Henry’s taking time off is the reason for JBL’s “took his ball and went home” references on RAW.
Credit – F4WOnline
The current plan is for Randy Orton vs. Sheamus to be a featured match at this year’s SummerSlam pay-per-view, meaning one of them would have to turn heel soon.
Orton has been rumored to turn heel for about a year now.
Mark Henry may be returning as a babyface. As seen on the Extreme Rules post-show, Henry left the trainers room and said he was going home.
There has been some talk for months about turning Henry face and it appears that this sympathy angle may be the way they go with it.
WWE SmackDown spoilers from tonight’s tapings in Wichita, Kansas:
* SmackDown opens up with The Miz and another MizTV segment. His guests are Randy Orton and Big Show, who were previously advertised for The Highlight Reel. We see highlights from the Orton vs. Show feud. Jack Swagger, Alberto Del Rio, Mark Henry and Sheamus all end up in the ring and a brawl breaks out. Orton, Del Rio and Sheamus clean house before Teddy Long comes out and makes a six-man match for later tonight.
* Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns beat The Usos in a quick match. Dean Ambrose joined in the post-match beatdown until Kofi Kingston made the save with a steel chair. Kofi and The Usos had words for The Shield.
* Damien Sandow walks up on The Miz and Teddy Long backstage. Sandow wants to get The Damien Sandow on SmackDown after what happened with MizTV. They have words and Teddy makes Sandow vs. Miz for tonight.
* Tensai and Brodus Clay defeated Darren Young and Titus O’Neil.
* Chris Jericho defeated Antonio Cesaro. After the match, Summer Rae came out. Fandango attacked Jericho from behind. Jericho turned it around and Fandango escaped from the ring. Jericho hit Cesaro with a Codebreaker to end everything.
* They show a video from earlier in the day with Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger. Colter rants about the current IRS and Benghazi controversies before running down Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler. Zeb says Ziggler isn’t injured, he’s just afraid of Swagger. Zeb says Swagger will make Del Rio quit at Extreme Rules and send him back home to Mexico.
* The Miz defeated Damien Sandow by submission. Cody Rhodes was at ringside and cut a promo before the match.
* WWE Divas Champion Kaitlyn defeated Aksana in a non-title match.
* Randy Orton, Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus beat Big Show, Jack Swagger and Mark Henry in the main event. Both Zeb and Ricardo got involved at one point. The end came when Orton hit a RKO on Swagger. Orton, Sheamus and Del Rio celebrated after the match. Big Show got up but Sheamus hit a Brogue Kick to end the show.
Sheamus posted the following photo of welts on his back after last night’s RAW and the beating from Mark Henry:
“Henry left his Mark. Literally! Me welts have welts. #RAW #ExtremeRules”
Tonight’s WWE SmackDown tapings take place from the PNC Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina. Confirmed for tonight’s show is The Highlight Reel with Chris Jericho and Ryback.
Set for tonight’s Main Event tapings is a match between Randy Orton and Antonio Cesaro. Advertised locally is Sheamus and Orton vs. Big Show and Mark Henry.
WWE Smackdown TV taping report
April 30, 2013
Report by Ron Roberts, PWTorch reader
Ryback came out to a decent pop and cut a promo about John Cena being hurt. He said the Law of Nature dictates that only the strong survive, and the crowd answered with an annoying “What?” chant.
(1) Ryback beat WWE tag champion Daniel Bryan with Shell Shock. Ryback looked quite awkward in the ring with someone at Bryan’s skill level.
(2) Fandango beat Zack Ryder. Huge pop for Fandango’s entrance, and jobber entrance for Ryder. Zero heat during the match.
A video aired of Kaitlyn receiving another gift from her secret admirer. She saw Natalya and Great Khali, who gave her love advice. Quite funny.
(3) Alberto Del Rio & Ricardo Rodriguez beat World Hvt. champion Dolph Ziggler & Big E. Langston and Jack Swagger & Zeb Colter in a triple-threat tag match. Not sure how this will look on TV, but it started out as Ricardo vs. Colter, then Swagger interfered, so Teddy Long ordered a tag match. Del Rio was then about to pin Swagger when Big E. interfered from commentary. So, Long ordered a triple threat tag match, which ended with Del Rio submitting Ziggler with the cross arm-breaker.
The Shield cut a promo backstage revealing an attack on Daniel Bryan.
(4) Randy Orton beat Damien Sandow with the RKO. Orton easily had the biggest pop of the evening.
Big Show then came out and called out Orton, saying his ego prevents him from being a team-player. Show said that at Extreme Rules, there will be nothing funny about what he does to him, suggesting a singles match.
Mark Henry beat Sheamus in an Arm Wrestling Challenge. Sheamus asked for another chance, so they locked up and Sheamus punched Henry, then hit the Brogue Kick. So, who is the heel in this feud?
(5) Dean Ambrose beat WWE tag champion Kane clean in the main event. Very physical match.
TV then ended with Shield holding the Tag Titles over a prone Kane.
After Smackdown ended, they went to a bonus dark match.
Dark Match: Sheamus & Randy Orton beat Marl Henry & Big Show. Henry took the Brogue Kick and RKO for the loss.
WWE SmackDown spoilers from today’s tapings in London, England:
Jack Swagger b Alberto Del Rio in a wild no DQ match. Crowd was hot for the match with Swagger winning with the doctor bomb.
Layla b Aksana
The Shield did an interview talking about winning on Raw and Dean Ambrose said he was going to beat Undertaker.
Fandango b Justin Gabriel. Fandango was very over here. Legdrop off the top finisher
Big Show b Sheamus via knockout punch after distraction from Mark Henry. The crowd turned on the match with boring chants
Wade Barrett b William Regal
Mark Henry b Randy Orton via DQ when Sheamus ran in and gave Henry a Brogue kick. Orton laid out Henry after the match with an RKO.
Undertaker b Dean Ambrose with a choke slam and gogoplata submission. Very good match. After the match The Shield beat down Undertaker three-on-one, including Roman Reigns spearing him through the barricade and then leaving him laying after the triple team power bomb.
Posted below is a sneak peek of what the interior of the new WWE Performance Center will look like.
Credit – Wrestling Observer
- Mark Henry is scheduled to begin a feud with Sheamus soon. At one point, the feud was discussed for WrestleMania 29 before the undercard was redone.
- Batista is back up to his normal weight at around 280 lbs. He had dropped weight to try MMA and after a first fight, there has been no talk of a second fight. His gym in Tampa has also closed and was supposed to open back up in January but didn’t. A WWE return has been rumored for awhile, but Batista has said numerous times that he doesn’t like the current direction of the product.