As noted, Rob Van Dam will be returning at WWE’s Money in the Bank pay-per-view. WWE’s website has an article up, speculating if he will be in a Money in the Bank ladder match or what. WWE Superstars gave their thoughts on RVD’s return:
Paul Heyman: “The entire WWE Universe is buzzing about the return of a true one-of-a-kind, Rob Van Dam. And no one, I assure you, no one is more exhilarated about the return of RVD than Paul Heyman himself. Because after all, Rob Van Dam is a “Paul Heyman Guy.””
The Miz: “One of the greatest highfliers, a Legend in my mind. I remember from ECW to WWE, this guy is action-packed, he is a showstopper, he is must-see. He’s not going to take The Miz’s spot. I welcome all comers. I’ve always welcomed anyone that’s come back, because the fact is, if people are going to watch them, they’re going to stay to watch me. Who knows how much he has left in the tank? I’m curious to see how he does. I’m a huge fan and I look forward to getting in the ring with him.”
Vickie Guerrero: “My responsibility is making the best opportunities for Monday Night Raw. To have RVD return back to WWE, I am honored to be part of the board that looked at his profile and welcomed him with open arms. RVD and I go back many years to when he was with Eddie. I cannot wait to see him here.”
Brad Maddox: “Of course I’m not surprised, because I signed him. Or I should say, re-signed the legendary RVD. I specifically told him to wait for Money in the Bank, because I wanted to maximize profitability.”
Titus O’Neil: “Anything that gets the WWE Universe excited in any way, shape or form, I’m excited about. Because that means more fans in the WWE Universe that will be spending more money to buy Prime Time Players T-shirts. So yeah, I’m excited about RVD coming back.”
Damien Sandow: “I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.”
The Miz said that John Cena helped him realized what he needed to do to get ahead when he first joined the WWE during an interview with The Herald Sun.
“Most of all you have to make the audience believe (in your character),” Miz said. “No matter what they’re saying about it, you always have to make them believe.”
Also during the interview, The Miz discussed CM Punk and noted that they were polar opposites.
“I enjoy the limelight, walking the red carpet, living in Hollywood and doing stuff like that,” he admitted. “And Punk, well, he’s not what you’d call a `corporate person’. I think the big differences in who we are as people, and as characters, would make for a great feud.”
Other topics discussed in include: Ric Flair passing the Figure Four to him, the WWE tour in Australia, being the villain in Mick Foley’s book and more.
WWE’s website recently spoke with Fandango about being pulled from the Payback Triple Threat for the Intercontinental Title. He said:
“If I’m not in the match, I don’t care about the match at all. If I had to make a prediction, I’d say Barrett hangs on to it. I don’t think Curtis Axel is even close to the caliber of a Superstar like Fandango. Barrett is obviously a tough bare-knuckle fighter, and Curtis Axel is a brawler himself. Miz, however, is a pretty-boy Hollywood star. I hope Barrett and Axel put a few scars on that face of his.”
WWE.com sources have reported that Fandango suffered a concussion during the SmackDown taping on Tuesday night and was pulled from WWE Live Events throughout the week.
Fandango passed his impact test, but has yet to pass further testing needed for clearance.
There is speculation backstage at the Richmond Coliseum — the site of tonight’s Raw — as to how this will affect the scheduled Intercontinental Championship Triple Threat Match at WWE Payback this Sunday pitting the dancing Superstar and The Miz against reigning titleholder Wade Barrett.
Stay with WWE.com for further details as they become available.
The Miz recently spoke with The Miami Herald about WWE’s live event return to Sunrise, Florida. Here are some highlights:
New talents in WWE:
“I love having new talent come up. It’s great, and I think WWE is doing a great job bringing in new characters and new entertainment to the WWE Universe out there and new characters for me to play with out there. I mean now we have a guy that dances called Fandango and during one of my matches I’m wrestling, what does he do? He starts his music and starts dancing during my match. I’m sorry, but I’m the center of attention when I’m in the ring. Not Fandango. It’s been incredible to have all these new characters. It just makes it so much more fun.”
Antonio Cesaro, The Shield and Bray Wyatt:
“Antonio Cesaro is one of the toughest opponents I’ve had to face, and he was just a rookie at that time [when I worked with him. Imagine when he is a seasoned vet. He just keeps getting better and better and better. Then you have the Shield. The Shield hasn’t lost yet, whether it’s in a singles match or tag matches. They’re dominant. You look at this Bray Wyatt, definitely freaky and weird and interesting. I can’t wait for this guy to debut just to see what he [and the rest of the family] is all about. There is tons of up-and-coming talent, for me to pick a superstar to be the next Rock or the next [John] Cena, time will tell.”
The World Heavyweight Title:
“One of the things I haven’t had is the world heavyweight championship. So I think I need to go after that and grab that world heavyweight championship for once.”
“I have my dream girl. I finally found the one I’ve been looking for. It has been absolutely fantastic, but obviously with being on the road so much, it causes headaches because we want to see each other. So sometimes I bring her on the road with me, but she understands, and it’s great she understands with me being on the road and with me being with WWE. She knows I’m setting ourselves up for the life that we want.”
WWE Smackdown spoilers from tonight’s tapings in Omaha, Nebraska:
* The Miz and another MizTV segment opens this week’s WWE SmackDown. His guests are Fandango and Summer Rae. Miz announces he will do MizTV and then win the Intercontinental Title tonight. Wade Barrett interrupts and starts running down Fandango and threatens him. Miz and Barrett start brawling and we have tonight’s first match.
* The Miz vs. Wade Barrett for the Intercontinental Title is up first. Fandango comes out dancing and interrupts in the match. Barrett nails the Bullhammer on Fandago but Miz wins by DQ.
* Daniel Bryan vs. Jack Swagger is next. Zeb Colter cuts a promo about conspiracies before the match. Bryan wins a back and forth match with the Yes Lock. After the match, the crowd chants “yes” and Bryan looks as if he’s crazy before putting the lock on Swagger again. Kane breaks the hold up and they argue before Bryan leaves.
* Damien Sandow is out in the ring with Matt Striker. Sheamus ends up coming out. This was described as a weak segment to start a Sheamus vs. Sandow feud.
* Chris Jericho defeated Big Show by count out. Big Show controlled most of the match but Jericho hit a Codebreaker outside of the ring and Show got counted out.
* Paul Heyman and Curtis Axel are out next. Heyman and Axel talk about extending his brand and taking out Triple H.
* Sin Cara vs. Curtis Axel is up next. Cara hits his usual high-flying moves but McGillicutty wins with his finisher.
* Kofi Kingston vs. Dean Ambrose for the United States Title is up next. The match ends when Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns interfere. Randy Orton and Sheamus make the save. Teddy Long makes a six-man match.
* The Shield controlled most of the match but the faces turned it around. Orton hits a RKO on Reigns, Rollins takes a Brogue Kick but Ambrose hits his finisher on Kofi for the win. After the match, Team Hell No come out and throw Ambrose and Rollins back in the ring. Orton hits a RKO on Rollins and Ambrose takes a Brogue kick to end it.
WWE SmackDown spoilers from tonight’s tapings in Wichita, Kansas:
* SmackDown opens up with The Miz and another MizTV segment. His guests are Randy Orton and Big Show, who were previously advertised for The Highlight Reel. We see highlights from the Orton vs. Show feud. Jack Swagger, Alberto Del Rio, Mark Henry and Sheamus all end up in the ring and a brawl breaks out. Orton, Del Rio and Sheamus clean house before Teddy Long comes out and makes a six-man match for later tonight.
* Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns beat The Usos in a quick match. Dean Ambrose joined in the post-match beatdown until Kofi Kingston made the save with a steel chair. Kofi and The Usos had words for The Shield.
* Damien Sandow walks up on The Miz and Teddy Long backstage. Sandow wants to get The Damien Sandow on SmackDown after what happened with MizTV. They have words and Teddy makes Sandow vs. Miz for tonight.
* Tensai and Brodus Clay defeated Darren Young and Titus O’Neil.
* Chris Jericho defeated Antonio Cesaro. After the match, Summer Rae came out. Fandango attacked Jericho from behind. Jericho turned it around and Fandango escaped from the ring. Jericho hit Cesaro with a Codebreaker to end everything.
* They show a video from earlier in the day with Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger. Colter rants about the current IRS and Benghazi controversies before running down Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler. Zeb says Ziggler isn’t injured, he’s just afraid of Swagger. Zeb says Swagger will make Del Rio quit at Extreme Rules and send him back home to Mexico.
* The Miz defeated Damien Sandow by submission. Cody Rhodes was at ringside and cut a promo before the match.
* WWE Divas Champion Kaitlyn defeated Aksana in a non-title match.
* Randy Orton, Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus beat Big Show, Jack Swagger and Mark Henry in the main event. Both Zeb and Ricardo got involved at one point. The end came when Orton hit a RKO on Swagger. Orton, Sheamus and Del Rio celebrated after the match. Big Show got up but Sheamus hit a Brogue Kick to end the show.
WWE has released a new “Haters Wanted” t-shirt for The Miz, who returned on RAW last night:
The Miz took a shot at Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo during an interview with 4th & Pain.
“Tony Romo will definitely get you some (fantasy) points. Granted, he’s not going to win you games for the Dallas Cowboys,” Miz said.
Miz also talked a lot about the fantasy football league WWE wrestlers are in and all of his botched waiver-wire moves that doomed him this year.
Alex Riley was asked why he stopped appearing on WWE television during an interview with CBS-19 in Cleveland.
“I don’t know, it’s a very competitive company,” Riley replied. “There’s a lot of people here and a lot of talent. So you have to constantly re-invent yourself and constantly be entertaining on a daily basis and find new ways to entertain and I’m trying to do that… I was shoved into a main event spot very early in my career, which I don’t think a lot of people quite get that opportunity, so I was very lucky to get that opportunity. I wanna earn it, a lot of that had to do with Miz, so when I come back this time it’s going to be all me and I want to earn it.”
- New WWE Champion John Cena spoke with WWE’s website after last night’s WrestleMania 29 pay-per-view. Cena says he feels like the burden is finally off his back and he’s exhausted. Cena didn’t want to talk about the conversation he and The Rock had at the end of the match.
- WWE’s website also spoke with World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio. Del Rio called his WrestleMania 29 match the hardest of his career. Zeb Colter spoke to WWE’s reporters and told them that he and Jack Swagger are not done with Del Rio.
- WWE also spoke with Mark Henry after his win over Ryback. Henry says he has a lot more respect for Ryback after taking the Shellshocked. Henry added that somebody’s going to get their ass kicked. Henry says he has more to feed Ryback.
- The Shield posted a handheld video after their win over Randy Orton, Sheamus and Big Show. They said justice was served at WrestleMania 29.
- Fandango spoke with WWE reporters after his win over Chris Jericho. Fandango didn’t have much to say but wrote “10″ on a piece of paper and said that’s how he’s feeling.
- Finally, WWE spoke with new Intercontinental Champion The Miz about his win over Wade Barrett. Miz was greeted by members of the New Jersey National Guard after returning backstage. Miz said the title is for his Mizfits because they are awesome.
Tonight’s WWE RAW will take place from the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey will the fallout from WrestleMania 29. No matches or segments are confirmed for tonight’s show.
Top stars set for tonight’s show include The Rock and Chris Jericho. Brock Lesnar, Triple H and The Undertaker are not advertised.
WWE is focusing on the following points for tonight:
* Anything can happen the day after WrestleMania
* Is Fandango a flash in the pan?
* Is The Miz poised to take 2013 by storm?
* Does Triple H have aspirations that go beyond the board room for 2013?
* John Cena returns as WWE Champion
Join your hosts Jonathan Ragus, Brett Clendaniel and Jim Williams for an all new episode of WrestleChat Radio this Tuesday, April 9th, at 9 p.m. EDT.
WrestleChat’s own Brett Clendaniel was at WrestleMania 29 this year in New Jersey and will discuss the event with JR and Jim as well as the fallout from some of the matches. Also, what happened on RAW right after WrestleMania and what could some future plans be for WWE’s next event.
As always, we will be taking listeners phone calls to talk about the events and ask questions. You can call-in at (347) 237-5373 starting at 9:00 p.m. EDT tomorrow night.
This is an episode of WrestleChat Radio you will not want to miss!
You can tune in starting at 9 p.m. EDT by clicking here.
The Miz spoke with Cosmopolitan magazine to promote WrestleMania 29. He talked about his fiancee Maryse:
“Maryse and I met in 2006 when I was hosting a WWE Diva search and she was a contestant. She was picked, but we didn’t start dating then. About a year later we started talking after one of the Raw events. I was like, “Man if only I could get a girl like this. One of these days I will get a girl like this and I will be so happy.” And I did!”